Sunday, August 5, 2007

The "Drug War" And the Pesky Ol' Constitution

I have spent the past 21 years trying to help folks get off or stay off drugs. I am not for drug use. But I am for things like probable cause, due process, etc. A blog that I have in my links called "I was the State" is owned by a former prosecutor, who is now a criminal defense attorney. He blogs often about the fallacies of the so called drug war. IWTS against drug prohibition, maintaining that the drugs which are now illegal should be legal and regulated, much like alcohol. There is a lot to be said for this argument, although I wouldn't flat out advocate it without some research. It is not politically feasible at the moment, anyway. But in the future, I want to talk about the fiasco at Tulia, Texas and it's implications. Most importantly, the fact that Tulia was not an isolated event. It happens every day on a smaller scale. That has probably improved since the demise, (or semi-demise) of the "task forces", which got so bad that even Rick Perry couldn't stomach them anymore. That, my friends is pretty bad. More later.

2 comments:

Catonya said...

Found you through a comment on I Was the State. Wanted to say hello and welcome to the blogosphere.

jamie said...

The true drug war to me, would to see that we get to the root of where our drugs come from and to see our Troop's kick some Cartel ass. And to see more affordable rehabs built instead of prison. As you know drugs are not prejudice. It affects the rich, poor, and any race.For reasons most of us do not understand. We have President's whom are Alchoholics, addicted to smoking. And this is just the last two. Addictions can affect anyone. So pointless to pass judgement. Are down someone over this evil thing are can attack anyone.